Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wow...has it been that long?

Hello!
It's been far too long since my last post! I have been busy... trying to be more selective about my booth purchases this year. I have to ask myself certain questions before I commit to buying something to resell. Sometimes I have to do this in a split second when I am rushing around at an estate sale.
Here are my questions:
  1. Will I have to alter this item? How much is it going to cost? (paint, imbelishments, etc.)
  2. Am I going to be able to double my money on the item, even after I alter it?
  3. Would I have this item in my home?
  4. Should I paint the item and sell it now or leave it as is and keep it for a later month/theme?

I must also have some new rules for myself this year, considering rising gas/travel costs:

  1. I will research a sale before I invest any time or money. Sometimes you can look at sale photos online. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.
  2. Am I going to a sale for just one or two items? Is it worth the trip adding gas money for the journey there and home? Will I still be able to double my money on the items? Again, sometimes you have to take a chance.
  3. If the item needs some repair, can my husband do it? Again, what's the repair cost?
  4. Am I going to be able to get the items home? I don't want to make a trip back to the sale later to pick it up. Again, saving gas money...$5.00 a gallon people!
  5. I will spend less on booth decor that is not-for-sale. I will try and re-use items from last year and re-use what I have. * This is a biggie for me as I usually go overboard with seasonal/theme elements.
  6. How fast can I sell the item? Am I going to be stuck with it awhile until I find the right seller? Yes, sometimes items so special present themselves and you feel compelled to buy them for the thrill...then you end up having things like a 100 year old antique mannekin of a little boy in your garage...remind me to tell you that story later...

So as I have some new guidelines for my treasure hunting, let me be honest and say I have fallen off the wagon recently, no not the wagon, let's just say I fell off the trailer. A semi trailer. Yes folks, I had the extreme honor of "picking" a delapidated 50' trailer that had been sitting forgotten, for 40+ years. OH YEAH! All new rules out the window.

BUT, I came home with a mini van full of new treasures! I can't wait to show y'all what I bought!

Happy treasure hunting,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment